At least two East Ohio United Methodist churches have stained glass windows that are reminiscent of the Civil War era. Both of these “Lincoln” windows have a cameo of the 16th president, U.S. flags and a Bald Eagle. They vary some in coloring and detail, however. The window at the Nashville UMC sanctuary was dedicated in December of 1901 in what was then the Methodist Episcopal Church. According to church pastor, Thomas E. Wallace, it is believed that the Nashville Post of the Grand Army of the Republic (GAR) Civil War veterans donated the window (GAR G.W. Hughes Post 298). The Lincoln window at the Shreve UMC also may have been a gift of the GAR. A history of the Shreve community shows that some members of the church were charter members of GAR Shreve Post 209 and Civil War veterans.
As reported in “East Ohio Today” Volume 13, Number7 – April 7, 1996